The Pavilion Park in Reykjavík city centre is named after a pavilion situated in the park. A part of the Reykjavík Lake is within the confines of the park as are some important works of art, including a statue of the poet Jónas Hallgrímsson. Land was first set aside for the park in 1901 and proposals made for its landscaping in 1908. A few years later, the first trees were planted. The Pavilion building which gives the park its name was started in early 1922 and finished a year later. Already in 1922 and for the next two years the Pavilion accommodated Iceland’s first school of music. The Pavilion is the first house in Iceland specifically built for music.
Klambratún (formerly Miklatún) is an outdoor area in Reykjavík. The area is roughly rectangular and about 10 hectares in size. Kjarvalsstaðir, an art gallery dedicated to the paintings of Jóhannes Kjarval, is located in the northern part of Klambratún. A part of the area belonged to the farm Klambrar until the mid 20th century when it came into the possession of the city of Reykjavík in
1946. Two years later it was turned into school gardens for youngsters in Reykjavík. In the sixties Klambra- tún was made into a park known as Miklatún following a naming contest.